We were lucky enough interview one of the most ripping girls of our generation, Lynsey Dyer. Check this out for her thoughts on music, summer plans, best Thai in Jackson and, of course, listen to her banger playlist. What are you still reading for?It’s Dyer after all!
If you don’t know who Lynsey Dyer is we aren’t sure how you found this website. Not only is Lynsey debatably the most iconic woman big mountain skier currently in existence, spending her winters traveling the globe chasing big lines and deep snow (staring in more ski videos than we can count) but she’s also co-founded SheJumps, a non profit with the mission to increase female participation in outdoor activities.
Here is Lynsey in action on one of the larger airs in the JHMR sidecountry: (yeah, she rips)
- [Earlyups] What roll does music play your life? [Lynsey Dyer] Music is super big part of my daily life, it’s a huge source of inspiration. Maybe everyone does this or maybe I have an editors mind but every good song I hear, I put it to a ski seg in my head. There’s a ton of slo mo pow and well shot airs in my head 🙂
- [EU] As an artist, who inspires you? Any pieces in particular? Any you’ve been working on? [LD] Banksy, He rules. The piece with a girl being lifted away on a balloon comes to mind, his work is dynamic powerful and accessible to the world, it makes people think and it’s experienced in unexpected ways. I’ve been working on my own t-shirt and hat brand, it’s small, I have a little something to say thru imagery. The idea is to lighten things up a bit… Right now you can find it on Lynseydyer.com or SheJumps.org
- [EU] Do you play an instrument? [LD] I played first chair trumpet. It’s not that rad for a campfire singalong, wish I had guitar skills. (editor’s note: we disagree. We encourage LD and all other trumpet players to bring their skillz to the campfire…)
- [EU] Best concert/festival you’ve ever been to? [LD] Just got back from a Brandi Carlile concert, she rules on stage, about to blow up, she’s super passionate to watch, but the best are the times on a ski trip or around a campfire where everyone can sing along, I love how music brings people together like that, yum.
- [EU] Have any advice for a girl aspiring to get into backcountry and big mountain skiing? [LD] Who ever wants it the most finds her way….give er!
- [EU] What is your roll with SheJumps? How did that come about? [LD] I co-founded it, and I never knew how many amazing friends it would bring me when we set out to make a team out of an individual sport.
- [EU] Favorite ski segment of all time? [LD] The segments from Shane where he makes us laugh at ourselves
- [EU] Any summer plans? [LD] Cliff jumping, shooting pictures, printing t’shirts and hats, riding bikes, Shejumps water ramp camp next month, preparing for some speaking for Banff FIlm fest this fall after shredding Argentina!, surf trip?? what??
- [EU] Hot Dog vs Aspen Extreme? [LD] Let’s bring em both back!
- [EU] Go-to Apres’ drink? [LD] Cold cold Blue moon with an orange slice of course!
- [EU] Favorite non resort spot to ski around Jackson? [LD] now why would I share that?
- [EU] Best Thai food in Jackson? [LD] the Tom Kai Guy soup I make myself
- Snoop Dog Wiz and Khalifa | Young Wild and Free featuring Bruno Mars
- Xaview Rudd | Better People
- Carly Rae Jepsen | Call me maybe (sad I know, but it’s catchy– LD)
- M83 | Reunion
- Lana Del Rey | Video Games
- Gregroy Akan Isakov | The stable song
- Griffin House | Better than love
- Mumford and Sons | Roll Away Your Stone
- Katie Herzig | Make a noise
- Brandi Carlile | Dying Day
- The Naked and Famous | Punching in a dream
- Josh Ritter | GOod man
- Atmosphere | anything they have
- Ellie Goulding | Lights (Bassnectar remix)
- Bronze radio return | shake shake shake
- Jessica Allossoery | Change the world
Lynsey gives thanks to her sponsors, First Ascent, Eddie Bauer, Gordini, Jackson Hole, Rossignol, Asterisk, Nutriex, Black Diamond, Avalon seven