Pollard is the man! Not only did one of his interview answers include a video of John Denver but the music is simply top shelf. If you need something to kick it to on this fine summer day where ever you are in the world, check this out!
Eric Pollard has been doing cool stuff on skis for well over a decade. The Line skier has pushed ski shaping, been featured in a whole bunch of MSP movies, shoots/edits/stars in NIMBUS Independent’s offerings and (all things considered) lives the dream in the PNW. We shot him a few questions via email a few weeks back. Here is what he had to say…
We had to throw one of our all time favorite NIMBUS clips into this post. Iggy Pop’s “Punk Rocker” is forever close to our hearts on a pow day thanks to this clip…
- [Earlyups] Do you listen to tunes while skiing? How about in the backcountry? [Eric Pollard] Yes. Not all the time, but when I’m skiing at a resort, touring in the BC, I guess pretty much any time I get a chance to.
- [EU] Do you play an instrument? If so, what and for how long? [EP] No, guitar failure.
- [EU] How do you go about selecting songs for a NIMBUS edit? [EP] Since the movies are trip based, a lot of the time it comes down to what music we were listening to on a specific trip. That’s not always the case, sometimes I pick music that I feel strongly about, and other times someone in the crew brings a song to my attention. Chris Benchetler, Ike Smith, Justin Wiegand and Pep Fujas always have some good music to suggest.
- [EU] All time best ski flickography segment to you? [EP] I don’t know. I really like ski, snowboard, surf, and skate movies, and I watch a lot of them. In the skiing world, I watch everything, and I like most everything I see too. I can always appreciate the camera work, editing, overall vision, and I just love to see what other skiers have been up to. I will say, that I feel that J.P. Solberg’s part in transcendence was probably the most impactful. As a skier, filmer and editor. I love that segment:
- [EU] Favorite artist (paint medium)? (who inspires you)? [EP] I don’t know that either. I only get the chance to paint and do graphic work a little bit each season. The rest of the year is filming, skiing, editing. I don’t have much of a ear to the ground in the art world. I love art and I find myself framing life with my naked eyes all the time, just like I would with a camera. And in the same way, I often see landscapes and other imagery that immediately inspire a work of art. I have done a lot of graphic work for companies over that last few years. Mostly in connection with Nimbus or signature gear. Backpacks, gloves, poles, skis, goggles, helmets, clothing etc. In skis alone I have worked in a grip of different mediums; acrylic , water and oil paints on multitude of surfaces, pen and ink, photo collages, traditional collages, and mixed mediums. It’s always fun to experiment. I suppose my greatest influences over the years have been my muse/wife Erin, and Dali.
- [EU] Summer plans? (what activities do you do in the summer…) [EP] A lot of editing, to much actually. I would say I edit a solid 2 1/2 months each summer. Long days, back to back to back. I ride a road bike to keep the body working throughout movie or art projects. Besides editing, I try to bite off a couple art projects each summer, graphic work and a series. And for fun, I love surfing. I also try to get out and ski when I have a moment.
- [EU] Who would win in a ski-off, you or Chuck Norris? [EP] John Denver, RIP. Check this shit out:
- [EU] Do you have a go-to snack for the backcountry? [EP] Yes, Clif bar. Not just because they “sponsor” me, but because I believe in the company’s ethos and approach to food. I don’t care for the traditional Clif bar as much as I do a lot of their other offerings. They make so much amazing, health food. Everyone always comes to me for good grub up on the hill because they know I always bring a lot of Clif food.
- [EU] Apres: Beer, Cocktail or Water? [EP] Oh yeah, I like a cold one as much as the next guy. I suppose it just comes down the location, people and momentum of the day.
- [EU] Favorite Hollywood “ski movie” (i.e. Hot Dog, Better Off Dead, etc..) and why? [EP] Hot Tub Time Machine. I just like it, funny as hell. Watch the movie to see the ski patrol make a funny ass remark after this scene.
EP’s Pro Playlist:
- The Creation | If I Stay Too Long
- Seu Jorge | Rebel Rebel
- Faces | Ooh La La
- Connan Mockasin | It’s Choade My Dear
- DJ Krush | Kuroi Ame – Black Rain
- Deer Tick | Baltimore Blues No 1
- John Lennon | How do you sleep?
- Digable Planets | Jimmi Diggin’ Cats
- Easy Star All-Stars | Climbing up the Walls
- Diamond Rugs | Blue Mountains
- Alexander | Truth
- King Tuff | Sun Medallion
- Ugly Casanova | Cat Faces
- The Raveonettes | War in Heavan
- Mos Dub | Histroy Town
Youtube Playlist of above songs